This article focuses on the weight limits of air ambulances, but it’s depressing anyway. The overall message of the piece is to lose weight (which we all know works so well! And immediately!)
Now, yes, most fat people aren’t very fat; most cutoffs are 300 or 350lbs; air ambulances appear to have lower-than-typical requirements.
But what can you do? Some ideas:
- Ask your local hospital about their equipment.
- Ask you local doctor about their equipment.
- Ask local fat friends about their experiences.
- Research what is available and ask for it to be considered when new purchases are made.
- If there is an organization that fundraises for your local hospital, consider joining.
I wouldn’t expect any of these to have an immediate effect, and some are long-term commitments. These are also biased toward people who have the time, money, education, and (possibly) public speaking skills to succeed.
Finally, you can move to an area with more choices. This is definitely a long-term choice, and one that may also be impossible. But it may work for some.