Okay, this is kind of US-centric, but The Onion posted some funny tips to make hosting a family Thanksgiving less stressful, including:
- Put the adults at the kids’ table, and keep the kids in the car.
- To keep your mother happy, seat her directly across from her one good child who actually did something with his life.
- Never host Thanksgiving
Some other options:
- Tell everyone you’re Canadian and already celebrated.
- Invite friends who you know well, but your parents don’t. This may put your parents into “company manners” mode.
- Leave. “Love to come, Mom, but we lucked into a great deal in [remote location]”. For example, Loscon.
- Watch Home for the Holidays.
What are your Thanksgiving/family holiday rituals? Do you have other silly or practical coping mechanisms to share?